Monday, February 20, 2012

What Life is Worth Living?

It seems the older I get the more I think about having a life of significance. But what does that look like? What is the life worth living?

I look at those in high positions living only for the honor and applause of society. And, no doubt, it is easy to envy them. However if fame and notoriety are the only benchmarks achieved, this is not the life worth living. Then come the monied people. Now, don't get me wrong, I like money. However, there are a thousand things that bless the soul that cannot be bought with money. So I conclude that a life lived only for money is not the life worth living. These I think are the two most common pursuits of those trying to make their mark upon the world.

What about the negative person, he who lives only to be the cynic? Skeptics of all types from the polite agnostic to the blatant infidel and atheist walk upon this earth. Is that any way to live? Recently I heard one of the leading skeptics of our time on the radio. I didn't listen so much to what he had to say as much as I listened to his words and tone. I came away thinking, that is a very angry and mean man. If he is not mean, he certainly has to work on his public relation skills... Anyway, the life of skepticism is not the life worth living.

I thought, "What if I just lived the life of the good man, the moral man?" After all, that's what everybody says at funerals. "He was a good man." (Whether he was or not!) Is it enough, however, just to be considered "good"? There are thousands of good, moral, honest, hardworking people. But if that is all there is to life, it is not the life worth living.

"Eat, drink, and be merry." Says one crowd. "Wine, women, and song." Says the other. If the search for pleasure and fun was the life worth living then why do so many thousands of party people shipwreck their own lives? King Solomon said, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity." Empty...that about sums it up. No, the pursuit of pleasure is not the life worth living.

Despite these obvious dead ends, I still believe there is a life worth living. It may be on a road less travelled, and may have more potholes and speed bumps along the way, but it has to be the life which gives meaning and significance to our tiny existence in this moment of time. In the teachings of Jesus He says, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."  Matthew 22:37-39
So what do I know? I am certain that the life worth living is a life of active love. If we truly love God and love others we will actively seek the best for them. For God, that means obeying His commands and giving Him glory when things turn out well for us. In regard to man, that means that I actively seek the good of those in my sphere of influence. Today, why don't we determine together to be active in our love and live the life worth living!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.